History – Rheinterrassen Köln

The history of the Rheinterrassen is closely interwoven with the development of the city of Cologne. The grand opening of the Rheinterrassen took place in 1928, for the international press exhibition PRESSA. Cologne was already a media capital at that time, and the city’s newspapers were sold in every major city in Europe.

The original building had a terraced design, and the front of the structure was completely glazed. The unobstructed view of the cathedral, Rhine and Old Town, in combination with the hearty traditional cuisine on offer, was very popular with Cologne residents and visitors right from the start. Unfortunately, the venue was destroyed during World War II and for quite some time the site was used as a dumping ground for debris from the bombing of the city. But the determined people of Cologne began anew and rebuilt their city – and the Rheinterrassen.

The facility was reopened in 1957, right in time for Germany’s national garden exhibition. Koelnmesse GmbH acquired the Rheinterrassen in 1998, and KölnKongress is responsible for the facility’s marketing. A protected landmark, the building was painstakingly redesigned, following extensive restoration and modernisation work. Today it is one of Cologne’s most popular – and successful – restaurants and event venues.